Honey is a sweet and natural food substance bees produce from the nectar of flowers. It has been used as a sweetener and medicine for centuries. However, many prefer making homemade honey to ensure purity and quality. Homemade honey is a delicious alternative to processed sugars and artificial sweeteners.
Honey base recipes have been popular since the time of the Ancient Egyptians and was used as a natural sweetener by the Babylonians. Early cave paintings have references to honey dating back even further but it is not known if the honey was used in any recipes of the time.
Some Dishes That Can Make With Homemade Honey
To make homemade honey, you must obtain a honeycomb from a local beekeeper or apiary and then extract the honey from the comb using a honey extractor or other specialized equipment. Once extracted, the honey can be filtered and stored in jars for later use.
There are so many delicious recipe ideas you can make with homemade honey. Here are some dishes that you can make with homemade honey:
1. Honey Ginger Tea
Honey ginger tea is a comforting and soothing drink that is easy to make at home. Ginger has long been used in traditional medicine for its anti-inflammatory and digestive properties, and honey is known for its antibacterial and soothing effects on sore throats and coughs.
How to Make Honey Ginger Tea?
- 1-2 inches of fresh ginger root
- 2 cups (16 fl oz) of water
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (adjust to taste)
- Optional: lemon, cinnamon, or other spices to taste
- Peel and grate the ginger root using a fine grater or zester.
- Boil the water in a small saucepan.
- Add the grated ginger to the boiling water and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let the ginger simmer in the water for 5-10 minutes, depending on how strong you want the flavour to be.
- Remove the pot from the heat and strain the tea through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Stir in honey to taste, and add any additional spices or flavours you like.
- Serve the tea hot, garnished with lemon slices or cinnamon sticks if desired.
Enjoy the soothing and healing properties of this delicious honey ginger tea.
2. Honey-Glazed Salmon
Honey glazed salmon is a flavourful and easy-to-prepare dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a special occasion. It includes protein and omega-3 fatty acids that help to make your heart healthy.
How to Make Honey-Glazed Salmon?
- 4 salmon fillets, skin-on or skinless
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz) honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions or sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Whisk together the honey, soy sauce, minced garlic, and grated ginger in a small bowl.
- Place the salmon fillets in a baking dish or on a sheet pan for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour the honey glaze over the salmon fillets, using a pastry brush or spoon to coat them evenly.
- Bake the salmon for 12-15 minutes or until cooked to your desired level of doneness. The internal temperature of the salmon should be around 145°F (63°C).
- Remove the salmon from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- If desired, serve the salmon hot, garnished with sliced green onions or sesame seeds.
Enjoy the delicious and nutritious flavours of this honey-glazed salmon recipe.
3. Honey Cornbread Muffins
Honey cornbread muffins are a delicious honey recipe that is a comforting treat perfect for any occasion, from a cosy weekend brunch to a holiday feast. These muffins combine honey’s sweetness with cornmeal’s hearty texture, resulting in a flavourful and moist baked good.
The British version of cornmeal is known as polenta.
How to Make Honey Cornbread Muffins?
- 1 cup (125 g) cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml)honey
- 1/4 cup (50 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Then mix the cornmeal (polenta), flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt properly in a large bowl.
- Mix the honey with milk, butter, and egg separately.
- Then combine the two mixtures to make a soft batter.
- Use a spoon or cookie scoop to portion the batter evenly into the muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade honey cornbread muffins warm with a pat of butter or alongside your favourite hearty meal.
4. Honey-Roasted Carrots
Honey-roasted carrots are a simple and delicious side dish that is perfect for any occasion, from a weeknight dinner to a holiday feast. This dish combines the natural sweetness of carrots with the rich flavour of honey and a hint of earthy spices to create a flavourful and comforting side dish.
How to Make Honey-Roasted Carrots?
- 1 pound (450 g) sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Your oven should be preheated to 400°F (200°C).
- Whisk together the olive oil, honey, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced carrots to the bowl and toss until they are evenly coated with the honey mixture.
- Put the carrots on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the carrots in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until they are tender and lightly caramelized.
- Take out the carrots from the oven and cool them properly before serving.
Enjoy your delicious homemade honey-roasted carrots as a side dish to your favourite meals or a healthy snack.
In conclusion, honey is a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used in various recipes, from sweet to savoury. Some tasty recipes with homemade honey include honey-glazed salmon, honey and thyme roasted carrots, honey and garlic chicken, honey oatmeal cookies, and honey-roasted pecans.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to using honey in the kitchen, so get creative and enjoy the sweetness of this natural ingredient in your cooking.