Homemade Spiced Apple Muffins
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 140g raisins
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 115g plain flour
- 115g wholemeal flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 medium apples grated (approx. 280g)
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- You will need to use three bowls for this recipe. I have numbered the bowls to make the process easier to understand.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 °C.
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a bowl (1) and the whites in another bowl (2).
- In a separate bowl (3) mix the plain and wholemeal flours, the bicarb of soda, the baking powder, the cinnamon and the ginger
5. Add the sugar to bowl 1 and beat well until the mixture becomes pale and fluffy. Add the oil and mix well, followed by the grated apples and the raisins.
6. Incorporate the contents of bowl 3 (dry ingredients) to the mixture.
7. Whisk the egg whites that have been placed in bowl 2 with a pinch of salt to a meringue consistency (stiff peaks).
8. Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the batter.
9. Portion out the mixture into greased muffin tins and bake for approx. 20 mins.